Fees (U.S. High School Families)
All one-on-one sessions and off-line work are billable. We remind clients who book an appointment online that there will be a fee based on the fee tier and the session duration.
With us, you pay by the hour (drink). Our rate card is simple. [If you have any questions about our services, please contact us before booking the appointment. We appreciate your understanding!]
- Tier A. If you hire us on demand (and for a one-off task), our rate is $119/hour. 1 hour-minimum. Calls longer than 1 hour will be prorated to the nearest 5 minutes.
- Tier B. 11th & 12th graders: Our rate is $109/hour. 1 hour-minimum. Calls longer than 1 hour will be prorated to the nearest 5 minutes.
- Tier C. Younger grades: Our rate is $99/hour. 1 hour-minimum. Calls longer than 1 hour will be prorated to the nearest 5 minutes.
- We will honor the same rate until your student graduates from high school. That is - if you come to us when your child is in the 8th grade, we will honor our Tier C rates right through your child's high school graduation.
- If you're an international student applying to U.S. graduate school, we offer a package fee. Please check out our international student page for details.
- The rates above assume that you pay by Zelle, Apple Pay, Venmo, cash, bank
deposit, or check. Credit card payments involve an additional bank fee.
- College counseling generally requires both online sessions
(in-person, video, phone and chat conversations - any medium where we
are engaged with you to address questions specific to your case), and
off-line sessions (such as during essay/resume reviews or course
For offline work, we can provide an estimate if you so request. In such cases, we will only begin work after getting your approval.
Questions asked on public boards (like our Facebook page or on our WhatsApp group) are not billable because these are deemed general questions.
Our business model is to provide you with as much public information as you want for free - via our popular posts on this website, Facebook page, and public seminars. We only charge when you engage with us for one-on-one help, either online or offline. But you control how much you want to engage, down to the hour. This allows you to better budget your spend. It is one reason we are so popular with our clients.
We work hard to win your trust. We are responsive, often getting back to you in a matter of minutes. Our workday begins at 7 AM and ends at 11 PM. We're open on weekends and holidays. We counsel by Zoom and Skype. Our essay review process is among the best - after all, the lead reviewer is a weekly international columnist for India's second-largest financial newspaper!
Are Private Counselors Necessary? How Much Do They Charge?Hiring a counselor is a private decision but increasingly, a lot of US families are doing just this.
According to the U.S. Department of Education in 2015-16, each public school counselor was responsible for 476 students, on average. In 2013, the counselor-student ratio in Texas averaged 1:470. How can high school students hope to get personal service with such lopsided ratios?
According to Ruth Starkman of Stanford, in 2013, 26 percent of all college applicants — three times as many as in 2003, hired a “private admissions consultant” or an “independent educational consultant (IEC)” to assist with their college applications. Crimson Education, a company that uses young "tutors" to help families navigate the college admissions jungle told USA TODAY in December 2019 that it charges between $5,000 and $10,000. Mark Sklarow, CEO of the Independent Educational Consultants Association (IECA), says that consultants charge an average rate of $160/hour. Typical cost: $4,500 spread out over 3 years. The typical client is a middle-class or upper-middle-class student in a public school.
While we charge only by the hour, our typical cost totals 18 - 20 hours of commercial engagement with us over 3 years - about $1,900.
Why Are Our Fees Low?
Our fees are much lower because we are an online company that can pass savings on to you. We don't rent expensive office space or hire needless overhead resources. We don't advertise - all our growth is from word-of-mouth client referrals for which we are forever grateful.
We conduct most of our business online using cloud tools, lowering our costs of delivery. We reach a global audience and our volumes are higher. We earn revenue through ads on our site and our paid Facebook webinars which further help subsidize your fees. We get revenue from sales of our college selection book and our online courses.
We are the Southwest Airlines of college counseling. We hate to say "No" to our clients!